Sometimes staying true to ourselves is really hard, but I want to give some tips on how to stay true to yourself even when it’s hard to. We will probably all experienced this at some point in our lives, but some people will know how to deal with it whereas others will not.
I think a lot of us struggle to be true to ourselves for several reasons when we are brought up in a culture and society and taught that our looks, insecurities, imperfections and a million other things are more important than actually being true to yourself it’s so easy to forget so this is your reminder to look after yourself !!
When people think of being true to yourself they think that’s it’s disrespectful or inconsiderate but it’s not. You are allowed to accept their opinions, your allowed to agree with them. When I say to be true to yourself, I mean start making your own decisions and sticking with them, don’t let the people that are around you; choose what you have for lunch, choose what your wearing, say if your wearing makeup or not start making these decisions yourself and look after yourself !!
What does the term mean?
So you might be wondering what does the actual term ‘staying to true to yourself’ actually mean, well let me explain being true to yourself means that you will be you and you will not change for anyone, you live by your own set of rules and standards. You try not to care about what others think of you.
I will admit I really struggle to be true to myself in this world where we get judged and are expected to be this ‘perfect’ person, I am definitely not ‘perfect’ I just try to be the best version of myself that I know and love !! Like we all should, we shouldn’t have to be expected to live by others expectations.
How to stay true to yourself –
Here are a few of my top tips for staying true to yourself even when you are struggling to because we all know that we need to start loving ourselves and being happy in our own bodies without constantly thinking about what others might be thinking.
- Stop caring about what others think – This is a big one for me and a lot of people. I have others put what other people think of me at the front of my mind instead of what I really think. One of my goals for this year was to try and not care about what others think of me because it really drags you down. To be honest, let’s be real; are they living in your body and are they living your life? No, they are not so you can do whatever you want to with your life it doesn’t matter what ‘bob’ thinks of you. The only person what should matter is what YOU think !!
- Let yourself do whatever the flip you want to – Starting letting yourself do whatever you want to, start telling yourself that if you want to do something you can stop listening to that inner thought that is not letting you. Start today by doing something that you’ve been telling yourself not to do !!
- Start to learn to love yourself – This is a big one for learning to love yourself because if there is only you, who have you got to love you, no one so you need to do that for yourself. Start getting rid of the toxic thoughts and start replacing them with positive. Instead of ‘ you look ugly’ say ‘you look beautiful today’. Just look after yourself and give yourself time and a break because we all need them from time to time we are only human.
- Set yourself goals/ admirations – start setting yourself small manageable goals that you can achieve. Set these goals for you not for anyone else !!
- Start caring about what you think – A lot of the time we have such chaotic lives that as soon as something sad or bad happens we put it to the side and leave it and try and ignore it. Start thinking about these things and learn from them, it’s okay to make mistakes and learn from them, it’s okay to be sad or angry just give yourself time and learn from them and accept your emotions are part of being human.
- Social media – remember that what you see on social media isn’t always true or real a lot of the time the things we see on social media are fake. If you want to post a picture of yourself on social media you do that, don’t justify it just do it. Don’t think about what you look like, because I’m telling you to know people would prefer the real you instead of the fake you. It’s not only them who would prefer it, but you also will because you’re staying to true to yourself.
I hope that you can all start trying to stay to yourself. I challenge you to take one of these steps and stay true to yourself, just do something that you will thank yourself later. Let me know once you’ve done, comment below, email me or DM me on twitter/ Instagram I want to know that you are taking steps to stay true to yourself !!
Thank you for the support as always, If you enjoyed this post please like and comment and follow. If you would like to help me to make my website self-hosted then please use the link, it would be greatly appreciated https://ko-fi.com/D1D4V3G4
Until next time 😊