So as it’s mental health awareness week, which is from Monday 13th May to Sunday 19th May. Mental health awareness week is to raise awareness of mental health but also at the same time spreading more understanding about mental health. I wanted to ask some of my fellow bloggers and mental health community if they wanted to get a message across to people what message would it be. I thought I would do this blog post because for the people who actually suffer from mental health they find it hard to get a message across, so this post is for the messages to come across. So several different people replied to my tweet with what messages they want to get across, in which I can show you some of them.
So here are some messages –
1. Suicide is not a choice, nor is it a crime. I hate the term ‘commit suicide’ b/c it sounds like a crime. Our bodies are hardwired to sustain life, hence why breathing isn’t a voluntary bodily function. When the brain can override that, it’s a crisis, not a choice. @Thepreppingwife
2. It doesn’t define who you are. Individuals will have mental health but mental health doesn’t have control over the individual. We are who we are, We are not our illnesses we all are individuals. @simplystepth_uk
3. That most of us are really good about “holding it together” and “faking it”… But doesn’t mean it’s all okay. @ Beth18g
4. That just because you can’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. @lovemetreatme
5. No two people’s mental health battles are the same. @paulmcg1994
6. My biggest pet peeve is when people think they found the ultimate cure cause they have been cured. People don’t realize it’s different for everyone. I’ve been trying to fight that battle for a long time. @twoturnthepage
7. I would like people to know that I am not lazy, stupid or seeking attention. I have a Mental Health Illnesses, and I am intelligent, hardworking and not seeking attention. I am worked very hard to be where I am today. I would also ask people to educate themselves about Mental Health Illnesses. @hu8390765
8. Not everybody’s experience is the same, even if they are suffering from the same problem! @wimwonderland
There are so many different messages here, in which we all need to take on board and read them because there are so many different parts of mental health people don’t understand and need a bit more of awareness around. Sometimes we all become a bit naive. There are so many different mental health conditions around that we could simply just not understand all of them and now all of the ins and outs of them, but we can try and understand them when people talk about them to us. Sometimes when we are struggling with an illness all we need is to talk to someone not to be judged or ashamed just a bit of understanding doesn’t go amiss sometimes.
Thank you for the support as always, If you enjoyed this post please like and comment and follow. If you would like to help me to make my website self-hosted then please use the link, it would be greatly appreciated https://ko-fi.com/D1D4V3G4
Until next time 😊